Fostering Saves Lives
Providing a temporary, loving home to animals in need is one of the most rewarding experiences anyone can have. Our foster volunteers make it possible for our organization to rescue hundreds of cats and dogs we would otherwise have to turn away due to limited space in our shelters. THANK YOU for opening your hearts and homes and for saving lives!
The Guiding Mission of our Foster Program
- Provide cats and dogs with a safe, nurturing environment and individualized care.
- Socialize shy or timid cats and dogs to prepare them for adoption.
- Give our long-term residents time away from the shelter to keep them happy and healthy.
- Provide adopters with valuable information to place cats and dogs with the right homes.
Our greatest need is fosters willing to take:
- Mom dogs with their puppies;
- Adult dogs with medical or behavior issues;
- Bottle baby kittens (unweaned kittens who do not eat on their own and do not have a mother);
- Mom cats with their kittens;
- Feral mom cats with their unweaned kittens (Read More);
- Cats and kittens with Feline Upper Respiratory Infection (Read More);
- Feral kittens who need socializing (Read More); and
- Adult Cats with medical (injuries, waiting for a medical procedure such as a dental or other surgery) or behavioral issues (shy, does not do well in shelter).
Foster Volunteer Requirements
The following are requirements you must meet in order to volunteer.
- Follow the Steps to Start Volunteering
- Foster volunteer must be at least 18 years of age. Children under the age of 18 will be asked to co-foster with a parent and both must attend training.
- Foster volunteers must check their emails at least once per week while fostering.
- Complete an annual homecheck.
- Currently have fewer than 8 cats and dogs in your home.
If you have questions, please email Foster@savinganimalstoday.org.
Steps to become a foster
**Note: at this time we are providing foster onboarding experiences that are all online! Please follow the steps below to complete the application process and sign up for the virtual foster onboarding. Additionally, we are conducting “virtual home checks” rather than coming to your home in person for a period of time, but an in-person home check will still be required in the future. Please note we cannot send you the online foster onboarding sooner than the date you sign up for! We look forward to welcoming you to our foster family!**
•Complete a foster application
•After submitting your application, follow the prompt provided to sign up for virtual/online foster onboarding
•You will receive instructions and materials to go through the onboarding process virtually. Complete this step on your own time―it is not a live session.
•Once you have completed the onboarding process, a member of our Foster Team will be in touch with you regarding the next steps.
You will be asked to pay a volunteer fee which covers your background check, t-shirt, and provides resources to the Foster Program. If this fee is cost-prohibitive to you, please email our Foster Team to inquire about fee adjustment/waiver.